Randolph & Associates
Call us today for a free consultation
(800) RANDOLPH800-726-3657 Se Habla Español
Over 40 years of disciplined legal experience.

How can I cover my bills if I'm involved in a hit-and-run crash?

If you've been involved in a hit-and-run crash, you may be wondering how you're going to afford to either get your car fixed or replaced and even worse, how you're going to cover the costly medical bills you've amassed. Fortunately, there are various avenues that can be pursued. Even if the person who struck you is never caught, your own auto insurance policy can help you cover many of these expenses.

As for the damage to your vehicle, as long as you have collision coverage on your policy, you'll be able to use it to cover damage to your vehicle, even if you weren't at fault for the crash. In many cases, you'll be required to pay a deductible when repairs are made.

If you have uninsured motorist (UM) coverage on your policy, then you'll likely be able to use it to cover medical expenses as they arise. The one caveat with UM coverage is that the person who struck you has to be the at-fault party for the crash for the insurance to pay out. The other party must either not be known or not have his or her own bodily injury auto insurance for you to be able to qualify to use this coverage.

While personal injury protection (PIP) coverage is not required in California, you may find that you still purchased it when you took out your policy. If you did, then it too can be used to cover both your and your passengers' bills. It can also help cover added expenses related to the crash such as child care costs and lost wages.

Finally, you may also want to check your policy to see if you've taken out coverage for medical payments. If you have, then you'll be able to avoid having to pay those pesky out-of-pocket expenses that aren't generally covered if you also have a health insurance plan.

This type of coverage is often able to be used for both you and your passenger and without regard to who is deemed to be at fault for the crash. This means that it can easily be used in cases when the other driver is unknown, such as is the case with a hit-and-run accident.

If you've suffered debilitating injuries in a hit-and-run crash, then a San Bernardino car accident attorney can advise you of your right to file an injury claim in your case.

Source: Allstate, "My car was damaged in a hit-and-run. Am I covered?," accessed Dec. 08, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Need Help? Have a Legal Question? Contact us now for a free consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Awards & Associations

  • State Bar of California - California Board of Legal Specialization
  • Distinguished AV - LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell - Peer Review Rated for ethical standards and legal ability - Donald C. Randolph 2004-2016
  • Super Lawyers Donald C. Randolph 2004-2016
  • Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Bar Register Preeminent Lawyers Donald C. Randolph 2004-2016
  • Consumer Attorneys of California
  • Consumer Attorneys Association of Low Angeles
  • The national trial lawyers | Top 100 trial lawyers

Santa Monica Office
1717 Fourth Street, 3rd Floor
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Phone: 800-726-3657
Santa Monica Personal Injury Office

Rancho Cucamonga Office
9431 Haven Avenue, Suite 100
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

Phone: 800-726-3657
Rancho Cucamonga Personal Injury Office

Palm Desert Office
77711 Flora Road, Suite 101
Palm Desert, CA 92211

Phone: 800-726-3657
Palm Desert Office Location

Connect with our firm online: